Whether you are new to the world of hemp cannabinoids or a dedicated consumer of CBD and CBG products, understanding similarities and differences between CBD vs CBG is important. While CBD has gained a lot of attention over the past few decades, other cannabinoids are also making their way into our wellness cabinets. Of all the other cannabinoids being consumed by the American public, CBG is the second-most popular cannabinoid produced by the hemp plant.
For many people, adding CBG into the mix poses new questions. Perhaps the biggest question people have is: “Should I take CBD, CBG, or both?”
Let’s compare the similarities and differences between CBD and CBG. And while we’re at it, we’ll discuss consuming these cannabinoids together. Once you have that information, you will be better able to answer your own question! 😉
CBD vs CBG: Similarities
To start off, the main similarity between CBD vs CBG is straightforward: they are both cannabinoids produced by the hemp plant!
Other similarities between CBD and CBG include the following:
- Non-Psychoactive – unlike Delta 9 THC, neither CBD nor CBG will make you high
- Counter Psychoactive Effects – both CBD and CBG can offset or reduce psychoactive effects caused by Delta 9 THC (or other psychoactive compounds)
- Induce Relaxed States – both CBD and CBG appear to aid in relaxation and sleep
- Reduce Queasiness – both CBD and CBG seem to settle uneasy tummies; both have even been used to manage nausea caused by cancer treatments
Many consumers love CBD and CBG for these valuable properties, with relaxation and nausea relief typically topping the list. However, many humans carry a host of symptoms that go beyond upset bellies and sleepless nights. Fortunately (and rather amazingly), often either CBD or CBG can step up to the plate and help you deal with other miscellaneous physical issues, both chronic and occasional.
Which brings us to the next logical step in comparing CBD and CBG: the differences between these two compounds.
CBD vs CBG: Differences
Perhaps the most notable difference between CBD and CBG is the amount produced by the hemp plant. As a general rule, more CBD is produced by a mature hemp plant than is CBG. Do note this “general rule” caveat: certain cultivars are developed to produce higher volumes of CBG than CBD.
Conversely, in its initial, immature stage, more CBGa is produced by a fledgling hemp plant. As the plant matures, the CBGa compound converts to three other cannabinoids: THCa (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid), CBDa (cannabidiolic acid), and CBCa (cannabichromenic acid). At full maturity, hemp begins the natural process of decarboxylation which converts THCa, CBDa, and CBCa into THC, CBD, and CBC respectively. For this reason, CBG is referred to as the “mother cannabinoid.” Most CBGa is converted to other cannabinoids during decarboxylation but a portion of CBGa converts to CBG.
Other differences between CBD and CBG include the following:
- ECS Connection – there are two types of receptors (CB1 and CB2) in our endocannabinoid system (ECS); CBG binds to both receptors whereas CBD primarily binds with CB2 receptors
- Wellness Benefits – fortunately for the consumer, CBD and CBG cover different wellness fronts (along with a few matching benefits)
For many consumers, the differences that matter most are the effects and properties CBD and CBG potentially offers. The following table illustrates those differences (and similarities) at a glance.
Potential CBD/CBG Benefits
|Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)||No||Yes|
|Lower Blood Pressure||Yes||No|
|Offset Psychoactive Effects||Yes||Yes|
NOTE: The above table can be sorted. The default order is the Effects column, sorted alphabetically. Click any of the three headings (Effects, CBD, or CBG) to sort according to your wishes. To reverse the sort order, click the heading again. Benefits offered by both CBD and CBG are listed in boldface.
If you are like most adults, there is more than one condition for which you want support. As you scan the above list of potential benefits, you will readily see how CBD and CBG can work together and independently to manage various results you seek.
CBD vs CBG: Combining Compounds
In the world of synthesized medicine, chemical compounds attempt to mimic their natural counterparts. In such cases, there are valid concerns about mixing medications. All too often, synthesized medications can interfere with each other, reducing the efficacy of the intended treatment. In really bad situations, conflicting medicines can harm the consumer!
In comparison, look at CBD, CBG, and other natural compounds produced by the hemp plant. These different cannabinoids work well together. The term “entourage effect” specifically refers to this hemp plant phenomenon: not only are different compounds from the hemp plant beneficial but they often support each other when consumed in tandem!
We do recommend you try CBD and CBG separately to gauge what possible benefits each may offer you. Remember, different consumers often experience varying results when consuming cannabinoids but there is general consensus as to their potential benefits. Once you know your response to CBD and CBG separately, do try them combined. Many of our customers are ardent enthusiasts of this popular combination!
CBD and CBG at Fern Valley Farms
At Fern Valley Farms, we’re dedicated to bringing you the best of the cannabis world. While CBD has long reigned supreme as the most abundant cannabinoid in our lineup, CBG is rapidly gaining popularity for its unique properties and potential benefits. Here, we’ll dive into some of our star products, showcasing what makes each one special.
- CBD Flower: The raw and organic essence of cannabis, our CBD Flower category hosts a bouquet of strains tailored to deliver the authentic CBD experience. Whether you’re after relaxation, revitalization, or simply the pure flavor of cannabis, you’ll find a strain that matches your needs.
- CBD Kief: Perfect for those looking to elevate their sessions, our CBD Kief is a concentration of the trichomes from our premium flowers. This powdery and crystalline substance amplifies potency and flavor, offering an enriched CBD encounter.
- CBD Gummies: For those who like to incorporate CBD into their daily routine in a sweet and enjoyable manner, our CBD Gummies are the answer. Delightfully chewy and packed with our premium CBD, each bite offers both flavor and the potential benefits of CBD.
- CBD Capsules: Seeking a straightforward and measured CBD intake? Our CBD Capsules are precisely dosed and are an excellent choice for those who prefer the convenience of a pill.
- CBD Oil (tincture): A versatile classic, our CBD Oil can be taken sublingually or added to your favorite food or drink. Made with our top-quality CBD, it’s an ideal solution for those desiring flexibility in their dosage and usage.
- CBG Flower: Explore the less-trodden path of CBG with our range of CBG Flowers. Each strain is curated to highlight the unique characteristics and potential advantages of CBG, opening doors to a different cannabis experience.
- CBG Kief: Just as potent and flavor-packed as our CBD variant, CBG Kief is a treasure trove for those who want an enriched CBG session. It’s a celebration of purity and intensity.
- CBG Gummies: Bringing the magic of CBG in a playful form, our CBG Gummies are a delightful way to introduce yourself to this cannabinoid. Sweet, chewy, and potent – it’s a trifecta of goodness.
- CBG Capsules: For consistent and hassle-free CBG dosage, turn to our CBG Capsules. Each capsule is a promise of quality, consistency, and the potential benefits of CBG.
- CBG Oil (with CBD & CBN): Our trifecta tincture is a testament to the synergistic potential of cannabinoids. This oil harnesses the power of CBG, CBD, and CBN, offering a well-rounded experience for those looking to tap into the benefits of multiple cannabinoids in one go. Whether taken sublingually or incorporated into your meals, this tincture is a powerhouse of wellness.
While both CBD and CBG have their distinct attributes, what remains constant is our commitment to quality and purity at Fern Valley Farms. Whether you’re a seasoned CBD enthusiast or a curious CBG explorer, our range promises excellence in every product.
Dive in and discover the Fern Valley difference!