Our longtime customers already know we love our pets. In fact, we love pets so much we developed a CBD tincture for dogs and cats. Our pet tincture comes in two strengths – 250mg and 1000mg – making it easy to accommodate the needs of your particular pet, large or small. While our pet tincture is a consistent best-seller, you can create your own CBD dog treats to further boost and support your pet’s wellness needs.
To help you with this task, we have whipped together a healthy and tasty (for dogs, at least!) recipe so you can make your own CBD dog treats. Even better, this recipe doesn’t require baking. Just mix it up, separate into balls, and toss into the fridge!
As with our human recipes, this CBD recipe is plant-based. This gives these CBD dog treats an extended shelf life. However, like most of our plant-based recipes, these scrumptious canine goodies will probably get gobbled up well before they go stale!
CBD Dog Treats: Filled with Delightful Canine Flavors
The ingredient list for this recipe is basic yet delicious for most dogs.
Here is a rundown of the major ingredients for these CBD dog treats.
- Pumpkin – the high fiber content in pumpkins promotes digestive health in dogs, including alleviating both constipation and diarrhea.
- Peanut Butter – rich in protein, peanut butter also offers heart-healthy fats, niacin, and vitamins B and E
- Rolled Oats – with high fiber content and an array of vitamins and minerals, oatmeal makes an excellent foundation for these CBD dog treats
- Whole Wheat Flour – not only does it help bind ingredients together, whole wheat flour has an abundance of carbs, fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins
Even the minor ingredients offer wellness benefits, as shown below:
- Maple Syrup – this natural sweetener may not have many wellness benefits but it can satisfy your dog’s sweet tooth
- Coconut Oil – just like humans, coconut oil is excellent for dogs; not only does it improve the coat and skin, it also expedites the delivery of CBD to your system
- Turmeric – its anti-inflammatory properties can ease swelling and discomforts; it has a reputation for fighting cancer, arthritis, and heart disease
- Black Pepper – when cracked, that black pepper stimulates and amplifies the turmeric effects described above
- Kief – it might be last on this list but your dog may find our kief to be the number one reason to enjoy these CBD dog treats; expect less anxiety and a calmer canine thanks to the addition of kief
Bottom Line: everything added to these CBD dog treats can benefit your canine companion! 🙂
Your CBD Dog Treat Recipe
This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. Surely, your dog is worth at least 30 minutes of your time in the kitchen! 😉
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Fern Valley Farms kief
NOTES ON INGREDIENTS
Be sure to use pumpkin puree; there should be only one ingredient listed on the can: pumpkin. Do not use a pumpkin pie mix, as it has extra sweeteners your dog doesn’t need. The same advice holds true for peanut butter. Read the label and make sure it only contains peanuts. Avoid brand names like Jif, Peter Pan, and Skippy, as they typically contain artificial sweeteners.
Not only are artificial sweeteners unnecessary; they can be deadly. One common sweetener often found in peanut butter and pumpkin pie mixes is xylitol. This is highly toxic for canines, so check your ingredients carefully! Your best bet is to go organic and natural with all ingredients.
Also avoid these synonyms of xylitol:
- Birch bark extract
- Birch sugar
- Sugar alcohol
- Wood sugar
For extra cannabinoid oomph, you can infuse the following ingredients with more CBD:
- Maple Syrup – see CBD-Infused Maple Syrup, Sous Vide-Style for details
- Coconut Oil – see Sous Vide: CBD-Infusion Made Simpler for details
We recommend you initially make the recipe without extra oomph to see how your dog responds. If you decide to “oomph it up,” do go low and slow! Remember, our puppies are more sensitive to CBD effects than us larger humans!
CBD Dog Treats: A Pictorial Walkthrough
- In a large bowl, blend together the wet ingredients – pumpkin puree, peanut butter, maple syrup, and coconut oil.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – rolled oats, wheat flour, turmeric powder, ground black pepper, and Fern Valley Farms kief.
- Add about ¼ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until thoroughly blended. Repeat 3 more times until all the dry ingredients have been added.
- Check the consistency of your mixture. It should look and feel like cookie dough. If it is too sticky, add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time); if too crumbly, add more peanut butter (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Take a large piece of dough (an ice cream scooper works great!) and roll it into a ball. Press the ball slightly to flatten it into a cookie shape. Your target quantity should be 14 yummy dog treats.
- Place your baking sheet into the fridge for about 30 minutes. When removed, your CBD dog treats will be firm and perfect for your dog to munch on! Place the dog treats in a covered container to keep them fresh for several weeks.
If you reach your goal of 14 CBD dog treats, your furry housemate can enjoy a treat a day for two full weeks. By that time, you will know how much your pup likes (nay, loves!) these CBD dog treats. Fortunately, they are inexpensive and easy to make; plus they will be sure to deepen and strengthen the love your dog has for you! 😉
Estimating the Potency of Your CBD Dog Treats
Finally, let’s determine the amount of CBD your dog will receive in each treat.
Remember, our canine pals have it made; a small amount of CBD can go a long way for them! That’s why you don’t need much kief to deliver sufficient cannabinoids to your pooch.
So let’s guesstimate how much CBD your dog will enjoy with each treat. Here’s our rough calculation:
- Let’s assume you select a kief cultivar with a potency of 20% CBD. Since 1 gram equals 1000mg, a gram of kief contains 200mg of CBD.
- One cup of kief weighs about one ounce (28 grams). There are 48 teaspoons in one cup; this means one teaspoon of kief weighs about .58 grams.
- Therefore, each teaspoon contains about 116mg of CBD (200mg multiplied by 0.58).
If you make 14 treats (as the recipe recommends), each DBG dog treat will have about 8.25mg of CBD. For medium- and large-sized dogs, this is a good dosage. If you have a small dog, break those treats in half to deliver less than 5mg of CBD. Another option is to measure between ¼ and ½ teaspoon of kief for your recipe.
Prepare to find your dog happy, calm, and appreciative of your care and attention!
Alternate (and More Accurate) CBD-Infusion Method
If you prefer knowing the precise dosage to give your dog, that is just as easy!
First, skip the kief in the list of ingredients.
Next, follow the instructions up to Step 5. Before placing your CBD dog treats in the fridge to harden, apply one drop (or more!) of our fantastic and popular Pet CBD Oil (250mg). Each drop is equal to 0.25mg of CBD, so you can accurately manage the dosage. Plus your pooch gets a nice hint of salmon added to this treat!